Skip to content
- 2 whole chicken legs (skin on & bone in)
- 1 stalk of Brussels sprouts, stemmed and chopped
- 1 generous tbs of coconut oil
- salt, pepper & granulated garlic,cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil, for sprouts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Pecorino or Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash, prep, de-stem and halve all of your Brussels sprouts.
- Toss them in a bowl with your olive oil and a pinch or two of salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Season to your taste.
- Wash your chicken legs and pat them dry.
- Liberally season both sides of your legs with salt, pepper,cumin and granulated garlic. Set aside.
- Heat up your coconut oil in your cast iron skillet until hot. To test, flick a drop of water into the oil. It should hiss and sizzle.
- Once your oil is heated up, add your chicken legs to the pan face down.
- Allow them to sit there and get crispy. This will take several minutes. Don’t move them, even if you are tempted. Mine crisped up in 6-8 minutes.
- Once the first side is crispy, flip your chicken legs over and crisp up the other side.
- When both sides of the chicken are crisped up, add in your Brussels sprouts to the pan along with your chicken broth and lemon juice. Stir.
- Place your pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Garnish with some freshly grated Pecornio or Parmesan cheese and serve. If you are eating Paleo this step can be skipped, and it will still be super tasty.