When the bread slices are golden brown on the bottom, about 3–5 minutes, remove the sandwich halves and place them on a plate. Choose a side and spread the avocado mixture all over it. Delicious!
Then, move quickly and carefully and bring the sandwich halves together to avoid spilling (although don’t let that yummy filling go to waste!).
This avocado grilled cheese is great for a simple dinner — just pair with a side salad. You can even omit the chicken if you don’t have any on hand or want to keep this vegetarian, or even replace the chicken with turkey bacon.
Once you try this avocado grilled cheese, you’ll never go back!
Avocado Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 6–7 chicken tenders, cooked & shredded
- 3 ounces shaved Pecorino Romano
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a high-powered blender, add avocados, garlic and lemon juice. Purée until smooth.
- Add butter to skillet and once melted, add bread.
- Build sandwich in skillet: on one side add feta cheese and chicken, on other side, add shaved pecorino and tomatoes.
- Remove each sandwich half to a plate after 3–5 minutes, once bread is golden brown on bottom.
- Place avocado spread on one side of grilled cheese. Carefully and quickly bring two sandwich halves together to form your grilled cheese.