- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or ⅓ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes (about 3 medium), coarsely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
This soup is a natural pairing of summer’s freshest ingredients. For a richer dish, use basil pesto in place of the basil chiffonade.
1. Place the onions and bell peppers in a large saucepan, and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
2. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Purée the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender with a tight-fitting lid, covered with a towel.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve garnished with the basil.